Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Another Day!

Had another fun day today with your kiddos. Thanks for having patience with me as I leave my trail of materials. LC did you find my Paw of "saw"? Ha! Just wanted to remind everyone that during journal writing time there is no way you can really keep young children occupied and engaged long enough to get around and conference with every child. (I do know this...just so much to get crammed into a short time...plus I am having fun...sooooo I continue!) LOL I used numbered tables in my room and I kept track of who I was able to conference with that way. Started at a different table each day and just made the rotations. I also would have another activity at the table they could work on while they waited for a conference turn. As their skill increases, so does engagement and length of time that they can be productive. Small group writing workshop gives you the chance to meet with each child and capture those focused moments.

I stapled those quick assessment checklists to the back of their journal pages today. I just check them off as we conference and I always found that to be a good way of keeping track of progress and it always helped me to get to know and remember where they were as writers. Helps to keep me focused on ability, how much support they still need as a writer and what they are doing well on their own. You have a copy of some blank ones I gave you in the packet. I just cut them out and keep them in a pocket or baggie as I go around to conference. I keep saying I want a little pocket apron they have at Lowe's or Home Depot for all the little items that come in handy.

I can't say enough how excited I have been to be in your rooms and to see the growth the children are making as readers and writers. It is so heart warming to see them become so confident and proud of themselves. I hope you will be able to use the popcorn words I made for you. I usually would just pick two or three words a week to introduce and add to the word wall and I would use those words in the question of the day, the morning message and try to have them be in the books that we were reading during guided reading groups if at all possible. Also, I have a small sheet with blends and digraphs that I would keep on the tables along with word wall word sheets, number word sheets and color word sheets if anyone is interested. Oh, I also have some of those blank open ended writing pages if anyone would like a copy for writing workshop.

The link to the kid crowns is off of the Kid Writing link. They print out in color and they say "king of ing" typed up but I found if you leave it that way the children try and copy the words "king of" as well. I just cut that part off or cover it with ing. These are very useful in teaching those irregular sight words.

Another thing I have used to help those children who have a hard time getting started with a drawing and thinking up an idea to write about is to use a sticker. They get to pick the one out they want. I have a vast variety of them that spark interest. They place the sticker on the blank page and draw a background scene around the sticker. Then they write about their sticker story. I use this technique more specifically during small group writing workshop where I can model a mini lesson on how to draw the background. They get highly creative with these and make great wall displays and class books.

If you have any questions or would like anything, just jot it down in the comments section. LC you get the prize for the first comment! You can comment under anonymous without an account but just leave initials so I will know it is you. This is found under profile. You just have to scroll down after your comment and do a word verification. I chose this option so we would not get any spam comments. See ya tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked the journal checklist. Thanks for sharing them with me. It really helps me ba able to go back and see what progress they have made in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It is a nice quick way to assess skills when you are conferencing. I have found by writing it down or checking off where they are, I get to know their needs quicker. It also makes me focus on the little push I need to give them towards the next writing goal or the adaptations they need to be successful. The developmental writing continuum I put in your packet is also a great way to monitor and track progress over time. You can fill that out monthly and you really see gains and or lags in development. Thank you again for letting me come into your class.
    Tish

    ReplyDelete